Brexit at the Bookies

While pollsters have the result of the UK's EU referendum as too close to call, the bookies have Remain comfortably ahead. Prof David Bell will be monitoring the odds through the remaining campaign with results updated here. Updated chart - 16 June 2016.

Update, April 26

The latest data from the betting odds show a significant reduction in the probability of a Leave vote in the last week. It started with the Treasury’s gloomy view of Britain’s prospects outside the EU, which brought the slight increase in the leave probability from the beginning of April to a halt.

The downturn accelerated after Barack Obama argued that the UK would be at the back of the queue for a trade deal with the US. Even though he moderated this statement subsequently, the implied probability of leaving the EU fell from 0.34 to 0.31 last week – the sharpest fall in the bookies' odds so far. It is not possible to show whether Boris Johnson’s intervention further accelerated the decline, but it is interesting that his decision to join the Leave campaign has also coincided with a period of lengthening odds on that outcome.

-------------------------------------

The BREXIT referendum will be held on June 23. The latest opinion polls put the “remain” and “leave” campaigns neck and neck. But the reputation of opinion polls has plummeted following their abject failure to predict the winner of last year’s general election. This has been linked by the Sturgis Review to inadequate sampling procedures leading to biased estimates of party support.

Prediction markets, which are often based on betting odds, are an increasingly popular alternative to opinion polling for predicting election outcomes. This popularity is based on their relative success in forecasting election outcomes.

Betting data is collected continuously and on a consistent basis. Opinion polling tends to be irregular and noisy because of the different sampling methods used by the various companies that are involved.

The prediction markets approach successfully forecast the outcome of the Scottish referendum. Whereas the opinion polls suggested the outcome was uncertain, the betting odds suggested that the probability of a majority vote for independence was always quite small.

So what are the odds for the BREXIT referendum? The most recent data suggest that the probability of a “remain” vote is around 70%, with the chance of a “leave” vote being correspondingly around 30%. These data are based on the website www.oddschecker.com, which lists more than 20 companies which have offered odds on the BREXIT referendum at different times. Most are currently active, given the increasing level of interest in the outcome.  The most active company is Matchbook, which frequently offers multiple small variations in its odds during a single day. The odds from the different companies are transformed into estimates of the average daily probability for each outcome. The figure shows the evolution of these odds since the beginning of February. It also shows the timing of some key events which might have been expected to influence the odds. Of course some of these may have been expected and therefore already discounted by punters.

Some may have been genuine surprises, in which case an immediate impact could be expected. Arguably Iain Duncan Smith’s resignation was a surprise, but had little impact on the odds, suggesting that those placing bets did not feel that this event would have a significant effect on the referendum outcome. Similarly, Boris’s decision to throw his weight behind the leave campaign had little impact on the odds.

What is clear is that there has been a gradual whittling away of the advantage enjoyed by the remain campaign since the beginning of March. When the referendum was called, the probability of leaving was around 29%. It fell to 27% in early March, but has been rising since, before levelling off in the last few days of March. The most recent data, for April 6, suggests that this probability has risen above 32%. Even so, there is still a clear feeling among those with a monetary interest in the outcome that the UK will remain part of the European Union.

 

Comments policy

All comments posted on the site via Disqus are automatically published. Additionally comments are sent to moderators for checking and removal if necessary. We encourage open debate and real time commenting on the website. The Centre on Constitutional Change cannot be held responsible for any content posted by users. Any complaints about comments on the site should be sent to info@centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk

David Bell's picture
post by David Bell
University of Stirling
13th April 2016
Filed under:

Latest blogs

  • 19th February 2019

    Over the course of the UK’s preparations for withdrawing from the EU, the issue of the UK’s own internal market has emerged as an issue of concern, and one that has the potentially significant consequences for devolution. Dr Jo Hunt of Cardiff University examines the implications.

  • 12th February 2019

    CCC Fellow Professor Daniel Wincott of Cardiff University examines how Brexit processes have already reshaped territorial politics in the UK and changed its territorial constitution.

  • 7th February 2019

    The future of agriculture policy across the United Kingdom after Brexit is uncertain and risky, according to a new paper by Professor Michael Keating of the Centre on Constitutional Change. Reforms of the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy over recent years have shifted the emphasis from farming to the broader concept of rural policy. As member states have gained more discretion in applying policy, the nations of the UK have also diverged, according to local conditions and preferences.

  • 4th February 2019

    In our latest report for the "Repatriation of Competences: Implications for Devolution" project, Professor Nicola McEwen and Dr Alexandra Remond examine how, in the longer term, Brexit poses significant risks for the climate and energy ambitions of the devolved nations. These include the loss of European Structural and Investment Funds targeted at climate and low carbon energy policies, from which the devolved territories have benefited disproportionately. European Investment Bank loan funding, which has financed high risk renewables projects, especially in Scotland, may also no longer be as accessible, while future access to research and innovation funding remains uncertain. The removal of the EU policy framework, which has incentivised the low carbon ambitions of the devolved nations may also result in lost opportunities.

  • 1st February 2019

    The outcome of the various Commons votes this week left certain only that the Government would either secure an amended deal and put it to a meaningful vote on Wednesday 13 February, or in the overwhelmingly likely absence of this make a further statement that day and table another amendable motion for the following day, the Groundhog Day that may lead to a ‘St Valentine’s Day Massacre’ for one side or the other. Richard Parry assesses the further two-week pause in parliamentary action on Brexit

Read More Posts